Date: September 6, 2020
Event: Cook Out Southern 500 (Round 27 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Darlington Raceway (1.366-mile egg-shaped oval)
Format: 367 laps (Stages 115 laps / 115 laps / 137 laps)
Start / Finish: 21st/34th (Running, Completed 349 of 367 laps)
Race Winner: Kevin Harvick
Stage 1 Winner: Martin Truex Jr.
Stage 2 Winner: Martin Truex Jr.
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-115)
- Christopher Bell started 21st at Darlington Raceway to kickoff NASCAR’s throwback weekend. Bell’s No. 95 Rheem Toyota was a throwback to the design on the truck from 2017 when he won the Truck Series Championship.
- Bell lost a few spots while dealing with a loose handling car and at the competition caution on lap 25 was running 24th. Under the competition caution, Bell pitted for four tires, fuel and a chassis adjustment.
- The No. 95 made two additional scheduled pit stops throughout stage one and finished up the opening 115-lap run 20th.
- At the stage break Bell said he was still too loose and he once again pitted for four tires, fuel and another chassis adjustment.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 122-230)
- Bell started 21st and finished 22nd in stage two.
- The car fired off loose to start stage two at Darlington. Bell came down pit road on lap 170 for four tires, fuel and more adjustments. Shortly after pitting Bell reported he felt a vibration. Luckily a caution came out which gave them a chance to pit for fresh tires and check for a loose wheel.
- Bell restarted 22nd on lap 186 and maintained that position to finish out stage two at Darlington.
- At the stage break Bell pitted for four tires, fuel, track bar and wedge adjustments.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 236-367)
- Bell started stage three 23rd and crossed the finish line 34th.
- The field checked up coming to the green flag to start the final stage and Bell got some nose damage after getting into the car in front of him.
- Bell brought his No. 95 down pit road under caution for repairs to the nose and the team made the call to take the car to the garage to replace the water hose.
- On lap 272 Bell returned to the track following repairs in the garage.
- Bell ultimately crossed the finish line 34th, 18 laps down to the leaders following the unplanned trip to the garage for repairs at Darlington.
The NASCAR Cup Series heads to Richmond Raceway for the Federated Auto Parts 400 on Saturday, September 12th at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.