Date: September 12, 2020
Event: Federated Auto Parts 400 (Round 28 of 36)
Series: NASCAR Cup Series
Location: Richmond Raceway (0.75-mile oval)
Format: 400 laps (Stages 80 laps / 155 laps / 165 laps)
Start / Finish: 26th/15th (Running, Completed 400 of 400 laps)
Race Winner: Brad Keselowski
Stage 1 Winner: Denny Hamlin
Stage 2 Winner: Brad Keselowski
Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-80)
- Christopher Bell started at the tail end of the field Saturday night at Richmond Raceway following an unapproved adjustment prerace.
- By the competition caution on lap 30 Bell had worked his way up to 22nd and said he was starting to lose forward drive.
- Bell pitted for four tires, fuel, air pressure and wedge adjustments.
- Stage one ended on lap 80 and Bell had worked his way up to 19th. Bell came into pit at the stage break but missed his box and had to backup for service. The additional time on pit road cost him some spots and Bell restarted stage two 26th.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 90-235)
- Bell started 26th and finished 13th in stage two.
- The No. 95 Rheem Toyota Camry was a little loose off and loose into the turns, but despite the handling Bell made up positions on the track.
- Bell cycled up to seventh before making his green flag pit stop on lap 161 for four tires, fuel and an air pressure adjustment.
- At the end of stage two Bell was 13th and reported that his balance was really good, but he needed more rear grip on the long run.
- Bell pitted at the stage break for four tires, fuel and an air pressure adjustment.
Stage 3 Recap (Laps 244-400)
- Bell started stage three 14th and crossed the finish line 15th.
- The No. 95 was loose to fire to start the final stage Saturday night at Richmond.
- With 84 laps to go Bell went a lap down to the leaders and continued to try and keep them in his sight.
- The final stage went caution free and when the checkered flag waved Bell crossed the finish line 15th, one lap down to the field with only 11 cars on the lead lap.
Up Next: The NASCAR Cup Series returns to Bristol Motor Speedway for the Bass Pro Shops Night Race on Saturday, September 19th at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN.